Here are the 5 best ways to train for your next marathon.
1. Stay Healthy – Seems obvious, but when preparing to run 26.2 miles you want to make sure you run just enough and stay healthy throughout your training. You have to find the “sweet” spot of running enough to get you physically prepared but not overrunning and injuring yourself.
2. Build your Base Mileage – When preparing to run a marathon the training usually ranges from 12 to 20 weeks before the race. In those weeks, you’ll want to build up your mileage to 50 miles more than your normal running. The best way to do so is run about 3-5 times a week and run at a relaxed pace. Make sure that you do not increase your mileage more than 10% from week to week.
3. Take Long Runs – After you work up your mileage, you’ll want to begin to go on long runs. Each week you take an extended run, you’ll want to add a mile or two. But make sure that every third week you scale it back a few miles to give your body some recovery time. Take these runs at a slower pace so your body can get accustomed to the longer runs.
4. Speed Work – Intervals and tempos are optional for training but a great way to make your long runs feel easier. Make sure that you do some easy warm up and cool down miles before and after you do either intervals or tempos.
5. Fuel and Recover – The most important part of any training is to fuel and recover. When it comes to fuel you’ll want to make sure you are eating the right food and drinking plenty of water. Recovery means taking some days where you do not run at all. Also, stretch after running and even do ice baths to ease sore muscles. If on off days you are craving a workout, do some cross training like yoga or cycling.
Training will be hard, but you CAN do it! Commit to a training plan, stay positive, listen to your body, and use the five best training tips for running a marathon. Don’t forget to have fun.
Lucid Audio is full of runners, and that’s why we used our revolutionary technology to make it safer. Our HearBand Sport LED allows you to Hear and Be Seen. Shop all of our HearBands now!