5 Safety Tips for Cyclists
Bicycles let you exercise almost every muscle in your body simultaneously. Besides being great exercise, they are also a healthy and economical means of transportation. However, bicycle riding can be dangerous. In 2013, bicyclists accounted for 494,000 trips to the emergency room. Whether your path takes you through your favorite local park, or across busy rush hour intersections, stay alert to the sounds around you and remember some good sense tips to stay safe and sound.
Follow the Rules of the Road
- Obey all traffic signals and road signs, including lane markings
- Most state laws prohibit riding against the flow of traffic
- Wear bright, reflective colors
- Install reflectors on your bike
- Consider installing a headlight. It will improve your visibility while making you easier to see.
Stay Aware and Alert
- Keep items you need during your ride, like water bottles, in an easy to reach place.
- Look behind you frequently. Or, consider installing rearview mirrors.
- Consider purchasing a set of high-performance headphones with amplification. Lucid Audio’s headphones and neckbands enable you to turn up ambient sounds, up to 9x amplification. Turning up the sounds around you means you’ll never need to worry about the traffic behind you. Two hi gain omni directional microphones allows you to not only hear but enhance the sounds around you. You’ll never be taken by surprise again! You can enjoy your music, connect to incoming phone calls or check your messages with a simple touch of a button. All while staying aware of everything happening at a busy intersection or in the park. Switch easily between all of these functions without breaking your rhythm and stay safe on the road.
Communicate with Others on the Road
- Give hand signals as often as possible. Make your movements big, so you are sure to be seen.
- Make eye contact with passing drivers. This way you can be sure they see you before you make a potentially dangerous turn.
- A key aspect of communication is being able to hear and respond quickly to what’s happening around you. Lucid Audio’s headphones and neckband allow you to turn up the volume on the world around you so you can communicate effectively with other cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers while staying fit. Hear the honk of car horns and act accordingly. React safely near construction areas and hear those who may be trying to communicate with you while cycling. Hear all these sounds at a normal level or amplify them up to 9X. The choice is yours.
Unlike other neckbands or headphones with amplification, Lucid Audio devices actually increase your safety on the road. The powerful AMPEDTM technology keeps you alert and aware of all the sounds around you, regardless of how focused you are on your path.
Stay safe AND sound with Lucid Audio’s line of neckbands and headphones with amplification. Visit our website to see how this revolutionary technology can improve your riding time.