The History of Headphones
Headphones let us customize our world. Whether you are looking to relax and unwind or get pumped up for a workout, the right headphones can make all the difference.
The first headphones, invented in the late 1800s, were created for switchboard operators. How did we get from the clunky, utilitarian headgear of the past to today’s high-tech audio accessories?
The History of Headphones – The Early Years
- French engineer Ernest Jules Pierre Mercadier patented the first earbuds in 1891. Created for use by telephone operators, they can be considered the grandfather of noise-cancelling technology.
- Nathaniel Baldwin, an American engineer, created the first set of headphones with amplification, specifically for listening to music. At first, no one would invest in his creation. In 1910, the US Navy ordered 100 sets. This opened the door for a revolution in personal audio enjoyment.
Music Made Personal
- In 1937, Bayerdynamic, a German company, started offering the first headphones with amplification for personal listening.
- John Koss, an avid music lover, created stereo headphones in 1958. The Koss Sp-3 were basically tiny speakers you could attach to your head. Not fancy, but they were a game changer for music aficionados all around the world.
- The Sennheiser HD414, which hit the market in 1968, were the first lightweight, open backed hi-fi headphones on the market. The lighter weight made them more comfortable and user friendly.
- On July 1, 1979, Sony released the iconic Walkman. For the first time in human history, you could take your music with you, without forcing everyone around you to share it.
Science Meets Sound
Dr. Amar Bose invented the first truly noise-cancelling headset in 1979. Originally invented to help airplane pilots concentrate during flights, this technology was not commercially available until the Bose Quiet Comfort set in 2000.
Fast forward to modern times. In 2016, Lucid Audio introduced the first AMPED™ Bluetooth Wireless headphones that can reduce the sounds you don’t want to hear AND amplify the sounds you do want to hear. Conversations, the sounds of nature, your favorite songs all become easily amplified with this latest evolution in the history of headphones.
This patent pending AMPED™ technology goes beyond letting you enjoy your music with stereo sound. These hearing enhancement style neckbands and headphones with amplification allow you to enhance the sounds around you. It’s your life; turn it up!
The Revolution Will Be Amplified
Lucid Audio is changing the game when it comes to personal listening devices. True hearing gain is achieved through Lucid Audio’s revolutionary line of neckbands and headphones with amplification. Finally you have the power to customize your listening experience like never before.
Whether you’re looking to block out the world during your meditation time, or blast your way through a shift at work, Lucid Audio’s innovative technology is the next step in the personal audio revolution.